« 25 Random Things You Don’t Want to Share Online. Even if you think it’s safe. | Home | Say it Anyway »

By Tiffany Monhollon

So what?

Revelation

I have just realized that, for some reason, I am always having the same revelations.

About consistency. About discipline. About pushing past obstacles.

For a long time, that bothered me.

But finally, I am realizing that maybe, that’s because I keep letting the same thing stop me.

Quantitatively, I can tell this is true. For example, there are 90 unfinished posts in my drafts folder, deemed not good enough to publish. Qualitatively, I can tell it’s true from the way I feel when I sit down to blog. Fear, mostly, with a good dose of doubt. Even though I know that doesn’t make sense, objectively, since I write as a professional, for a living, and plenty of people read this blog. It also happens to be the truth.

Confession

My husband comes in to check on me, just like he has been doing every night the past few weeks. To see if I’ve finally posted. Or at least written something. This time, I tell him I’m doing okay. And finally, it’s the truth.

He says, “I’m excited about this one,” because I brainstormed the title for this post with him at lunch today. I say, well, I’m not sure it’s going to be as great as you are thinking. And he says, “Well, isn’t that the point of this post?” And then he gives me a kiss that says to me, “They won’t all be the best, but who cares. I’m still looking forward to it.”

He walks away, and I think about that.

Then, from the kitchen, he says, “One weird thing was that after lunch today, I was on StumbleUpon, and one of your posts came up randomly. The Lost one.”

And I don’t know why, but something about that was exactly what I needed in this moment to finally push past the dip.

People are reading. You are listening. Someone is sharing what I have to say.

Movement

So, this may not be the most eloquent thing I’ve ever written. It might not be the most strategic. But it’s something I need to tell myself, and maybe something you need to hear.

It’s never too late.

To write that post, to launch that site, to land that client, to develop that idea, to take that risk, to give that pitch, to write that book.

Or, maybe it’s always too late.

The trick is to stop worrying about that part and move anyway.

Enjoy this post? Want more more blogging motivation, social media tips, and career advice? Grab a free subscription to Personal PR by RSS or e-mail today. Or, follow Tiffany on Twitter to chat with her about these and other ideas.

By Tiffany Monhollon | March 18, 2009

Topics: Authenticity, Blogging, Business, Communicating, Motivation, Success, Work |

26 Responses to “It’s Never Too Late (Or, It’s Always Too Late, So Stop Worrying About it Already)”

1. Julie Cajigas Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 8:47 am

You and my husband should start a club. It takes him hours and hours marinating over each word of a post before he posts it. He is always so picky and I’m always like “just write something!!!!” I’m a victim of lack of time when it comes to blogging, but I put it all out there when I do.

Good for you for writing it, for saying it out loud. I think in truth, there are very few original ideas anymore. Most every revelation we come upon in our lives has been stumbled upon by someone else in the world at some point (likely recently in the blogosphere). But that’s not the point. The point is that you have had a revelation and come to an understanding that is new to you and new in your life, and I personally like to hear about other people’s revelations.

Keep it up! :)

2. Tiffany Monhollon Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 8:55 am

@ Julie - Thanks! As a writer, I have a very complicated relationship with writing, since every piece could be seen as part of a living portfolio of my work.

So what differs about blogging from my other work is that very empowerment to say it out loud, to share my thoughts and struggles too (not just my words and ideas) and work things out for myself.

So thanks so much for your support! It’s why I love writing posts like this one. :)

3. Julie Cajigas Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 9:16 am

As a writer I hope that people forgive my tweets, personal blog posts and facebook notes as “non portfolio” works. I try to keep the grammar and spelling reasonable, because that’s just what a person ought to do, but I don’t stress over my writing there. I spend enough time calculating my words in articles, websites, brochures and books. When I write for me, I want to include an ain’t or a parenthetical comma! But, I definitely know what you mean.

4. Tiffany Monhollon Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 9:23 am

@ Julie - That’s a good way to think about it! I think that’s what ends up being “blogger’s block” for me 99% of the time I struggle with it - the perceived need for perfection (that I put upon myself).

5. Carlos Miceli Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 9:39 am

Wow, i’ve been needing to read something like this…

Great, great post. I wrote something like this on my blog (in spanish), about how we have to stop comparing to others, because in this hyper-globalized world, we may NEVER be the firsts, or the bests. In fact, statistically speaking, i’m pretty sure that we won’t. so, what now? Should we all just freeze? No, we don’t have to give a crap about it, and keep marching forward.

Once again, great post! I’ll RT this.

6. Tiffany Monhollon Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 9:46 am

@ Carlos - Thank you so much for your kind comment.

It’s sort of a gradual realization of an obvious truth, isn’t it?

But so much of life is just that.

7. Jamie Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 11:19 am

If we weren’t behind, we’d be ahead. And we’d have nothing to look forward to.

In essence, we are always behind if we’re still searching and still striving.

That’s comforting.

I didn’t even realize how comforting that was until I read this post.

So, yes, we’re listening.

8. Akhila Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Great post. It’s always difficult to translate a vague idea onto figurative paper, especially knowing it is going to be read and judged by so many people. I always struggle with writing posts especially when they get too personal. Sometimes it’s difficult to open up like that to the interwebs. But it sounds like you are doing great, and it is true - it’s never too late to do what you’ve been thinking of. Thanks for the inspiration!

9. Tiffany Monhollon Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 6:59 pm

@ Jamie - It’s also so comforting to know other people feel the same. We’re all human, after all, but sometimes it’s hard not to single yourself out and think, only I deal with this. You may feel that way, but it just ain’t true.

@ Akhila - Vulnerability is a fine line to walk online. Especially given the web’s semi-permanance and reach potential. That’s empowering, in a sense, and terrifying, in another. But you can find a balance and push on. It’s worth it, especially when you realize that you might not just be helping yourself through saying what you need to say. So, thanks for sharing!

10. Stephen - Rat Race Trap Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 11:43 pm

“Here’s the thing: That guy over there already wrote the post you were thinking about. Someone applied for that job, registered that domain, reached out to that influencer, entered that contest, landed that client, invented that product, wrote that book.”

Here’s another thing or two. So what? The person you reach didn’t read that post. There is a better job. A more memorable domain awaits discovery. There is a more valuable influencer. There is a better contest. There is always a better product or service. You have a monopoly on the unique creation that is you. There is always somebody you’ll reach that won’t be reached by others. If you help one person you will leave more than most.

11. Tiffany Monhollon Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 11:45 pm

@ Stephen - Exactly.

As the world grows smaller and smaller, it’s hard not to stare at the success of others around you and let that stop you.

But it’s possible. And valuable.

So that’s the part you have to focus on.

12. Tiffany Monhollon Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 11:47 pm

@ Stephen - And also, about reach:

I worry a lot (too much) about how my reach overlaps with others.

But that’s pointless. Really. Because here, it’s opt-in. Ideas matter. Relationships matter.

Everyone has a unique and empowering reach that’s out there for the taking, if they will claim it!

13. Marie Says:
    March 19th, 2009 at 2:31 am

Thank you for this post. It’s definitely something I needed to hear.

I become paralyzed by the thought that people are already doing what I want to do. I wonder “What’s the point in trying now?” But I really shouldn’t worry about other people, and should focus on my own journey. It’s the only one I get to take.

Thanks for the push!

14. Rebecca Says:
    March 19th, 2009 at 2:47 am

Great post, I constantly feel like I have to be completely original or there is no point to posting… which is why I don’t post that often :) But no one is original (really). So you just have to put yourself out there, that’s what’s important.

15. Tiffany Monhollon Says:
    March 19th, 2009 at 3:55 am

@ Marie - Thank you for sharing! That’s definitely something I need to hear :)

@ Rebecca - That urge to be original isn’t bad or wrong, I think it makes you better at writing, blogging, putting yourself out there if you aren’t just yelling into the echo chamber.

But it’s a double edged sword, because how far is too far with originality? I think I step too far over the line and allow it to define me, hold me back.

Driving home, I was thinking about this: We don’t worry in casual conversation with friends, or at work, whether our thoughts are completely original or not. But that doesn’t keep us from talking!

And so much of social media is about realtionships, interaction, conversation. Or at least, it can be.

16. Monica O'Brien Says:
    March 19th, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Great post! It’s funny how we are such bad judges of what we write that will be popular. (Like this post is probably already more popular than you expected.)

Also, I’ve noticed we are bad judges of what makes us successful in general. My new theory is that just posting on my blog at least once a week makes my subscriber numbers go up. But then I barely post for two weeks and I get a ton of subscribers.

Blogging is weird. I sometimes feel that if I can’t do it for myself, there’s probably no point.

17. twenty(or)something » Blog Archive » When All Is Said and Done Says:
    March 19th, 2009 at 6:23 pm

[...] Monhollon of Personal PR wrote a brilliant post recently that sparked an issue that has long lingered in the back of my [...]

18. Tiffany Monhollon Says:
    March 19th, 2009 at 7:02 pm

@ Monica - It’s so true! I’m also a fan of the having a weekly posting schedule (though I’ve not really been great at executing it lately). But even when I screw that up, there’s still value here.

It’s just that - like you said - you have to internalize that first before you can bring value to other people.

19. 10 ways to boldly market yourself. | intersected Says:
    March 23rd, 2009 at 6:13 am

[...] but listening to your gut is a leap. How to Cultivate It: When you get an idea that seems random, write it down or explore it. Don’t let your logical mind get in the way by telling you it won’t work or that [...]

20. Carlos Garbiras Says:
    March 23rd, 2009 at 12:31 pm

This was a refreshing blog… I want to share a quotation that seems appropiate:
    “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is now.” - Chinese Proverb

21. Tiffany Monhollon Says:
    March 24th, 2009 at 8:12 am

@ Carlos - Thanks so much for sharing the proverb!

22. 10 ways to boldly market yourself — shatterboxx Says:
    March 29th, 2009 at 12:55 pm

23. Say it Anyway at Personal PR Says:
    March 31st, 2009 at 8:17 am

[...] It’s Never Too Late (Or, It’s Always Too Late, So Stop Worrying About it Already) | [...]

24. Ryan Stephens Marketing » Top 10 Gen Y Blogs: April 2009 Says:
    April 2nd, 2009 at 9:24 am

[...] Tiffany’s another woman who I’ve always enjoyed to read, and was frequently featured on my old lists before I moved to the voting process. It’s nice to have her back. She has only written a couple of posts since the last list as well. That obviously means the couple she’s done have resonated with her audience. She’s experimenting, less with PR, more with passion and words. It’s a fun shift to witness, and helped her articulate why “It’s Never To Late.” [...]

25. Thomas Says:
    May 5th, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Great thoughts for both a busy guy and a procrastinator. Forgive that the time has passed, forget that someone else wrote it. It’s never too late, stop worrying about that part and just do it.

26. Tiffany Monhollon Says:
    May 5th, 2009 at 7:51 pm

@ Thomas - I need to re-read this post every once in a while myself. Thanks for the comment!

Comments